Wednesday, December 07, 2005

This Is...The Next Band That You Need To Hear



And if I said this is my only tendency... to really like the bands I like, and to talk about them incessantly...well, then you’ll just have to bear with me. Because you need to hear this band.

I first heard Battle when someone posted the demo of “Tendency” to a LiveJournal music community. It’s the kind of song that you listen to and go, “Wow.” Really. In fact, out of all the bands I saw at Leeds festival, the established ones and the unknown ones, I think hearing “Tendency” live goes down as possibly the best moment of the festival for me. People asked me which band I thought was the best, and even though I didn’t get to see the whole set, my friend and I both automatically said Battle. It’s the kind of song that people unanimously say is their favorite of the band’s songs. And Tim Battle nearly caused a riot when he hinted in a message that they hadn’t been able to get down a recorded version they liked and might drop it. SAVE TENDENCY, the campaign, began. Even Tarts of Pleasure, Ultragrrrl and KarenPlusOne’s dj duo, have listed “Tendency” as one of their top 10 essential songs.

And the song hasn’t even “officially” been released. Battle’s first single, “Isabelle” was released on Fierce Panda, and their follow-up, the sublime “Demons,” was released on Transgressive Records. Now, I’m supposed to tell you to buy these singles. They’re not readily available due to their limited release, though I’ve managed to procure them, living on another continent. However, there are other ways to hear these songs. I won’t tell you, though I’ve provided the means in this entry. Hey, if I do everything for you, where’s the fun in that?

Next up for Battle is “Wicked Owl” which will be available for download on their website starting December 19, but you can hear it at their MySpace page now – but finish reading this before you go listen! They’re also currently recording their much awaited, greatly anticipated first album (they are guessing on a May 2006 release...sigh...) Allegedly “Tendency” will be the next single, out at the end of February. Which leads me to believe that Tim Battle is just a big tease and likes causing people to have heart palpitations. Not funny, Tim.

And do you know what else they’ll be doing early next year? If you guessed gracing our fair shores with their exalted rock presence, then you get a cookie. They are scheduled to hit the South by Southwest music festival. Even better, they have said that they plan on dropping by New York City in early March, on their way I suppose. Watch this space for updates on any planned appearances, and let’s show them a welcome that’ll make them think twice about leaving for Texas!

Ok, now you can go listen to the song.

1 Comments:

Blogger micameca said...

awesome blog! you'll have to take me to a concert one of these days.

(and thanks for the hot chocolate tip)

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home