Friday, October 21, 2005

Background check

“I’ve got enormous holes in my background knowledge of music, which is quite exciting to me in a way. The things I love I fall in love with obsessively, and everything else either doesn’t interest me or is something that I can later look forward to learning all about.”

-- Carl Barât (Taken from Adelaide's weekly Rip It Up Magazine, issue 849)

All I have to say is, thank god it’s not just me!! I have huge holes in my musical background, too. With siblings much older than I am, you would think I’d have a vast knowledge of classic rock bands, but not so much. I grew up on Michael Jackson, Culture Club, and more than anything else, Simon and Garfunkel. Also some big band/swing, and oldies (like, “Blue Moon” oldies. But they’re so good.)

American music fans can’t believe I never got into Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones. The best I can do with that is say I know some Boston and Aerosmith. Not really the same thing. British music fans can’t believe I don’t know anything by…well, it’s so bad, I don’t even know the bands I should be listing there.

Mostly, this doesn’t bother me. I feel exactly the way Mr. Barât described – the music I love, I love obsessively, and the other stuff I just don’t care about or I will one day, but I’m not bothered in the meantime.

But this also is one of the big reasons I cannot, for the life of me, write a decent music review. Things of an analytical nature, no problem. But an actual single or album review? Fuhgeddaboutdit. Because I don’t have this vast background knowledge, I am useless. I can’t write one of those “this band sounds like that band in their this band phase” which typify so many music reviews. (I also don’t necessarily know enough about instruments and production aspects.) I wrote ONE. I’m not proud of it. Please don’t ever read it. (I will not tell you where/what it is.)

I feel a bit better, though, knowing that Carl might not be able to write a good one either. (Just humor me, ok?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Louis said...

Hey, any recommendations on bands playing NY on Sunday night, Nov. 6? I promise I don't wear a tie when I go to clubs!

Enjoying your writing - hope you keep at it.

3:07 PM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

Thanks Louis, it's muchly appreciated.

I've consulted my the handy gig-calendar website I use, and this is what it came up with:


Sun 11/06
7:30 PM
The Constantines, Oxford Collapse
Bowery Ballroom 18+ $14


Sun 11/06
8:00 PM
Super Furry Animals, Caribou (formerly Manitoba)
Bowery Presents @ Webster Hall 18+ $18a/$20d
Tell A Friend

Sun 11/06
8:00 PM
Graham Smith of Kleenex Girl Wonder, May Or May Not, Steve Shiffman & The Land of No
Cake Shop 21+ $6 Tell A Friend

Sun 11/06
8:00 PM
Telepathe, Get Hustle, The Good Good, Mirror Mirror, Shoot Out the Lights, FM Bats, BiPolar Bear
Knitting Factory(Tap Bar) All Ages $7
Tell A Friend

Sun 11/06
7:30 PM
Daniel Marr, The Will (ex Realistics), Swale
Mercury Lounge 21+ $8

Sun 11/06
8:00 PM
Make Believe (Joan of Arc), Michael Columbia
Northsix 16+ $10

Sun 11/06
7:00 PM
Spoon, American Music Club, Mary Timony
Warsaw 16+ $22.50 Buy Tickets

I'm honestly not too familiar with any of the bands, though I've heard of the Constantines and Spoon. The Constantines gig was starred on the website, and the venue where Spoon will be is a bitch to get to. Here's the website for the Bowery Ballroom - http://www.boweryballroom.com/calendar/calendar_200511.html, or the website I used - http://www.ohmyrockness.com/ShowList.cfm

Let me know what you decide to do and how you enjoy!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Louis said...

Thanks!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home