Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Why d’you have to kill to feel alive?

Saw the 22-20s at the Mercury Lounge last night. I decided to go because I had gotten one of their singles, then heard buzz about them around t’net, was enlightened about “Such a Fool,” and then saw they were playing in New York. I got the album (well, a copy of it – sorry), and really liked what I heard. Luckily, since I’d already agreed to go, hahaha.

What's in a name? According to Time Out New York, “The young Brits in 22-20s took their name from Skip James’s ‘.22-20 Blues,’ in which the bluesman sang if ‘she gets unruly and she don’t wanna do/I’ll take my .22-20, I’ll cut her in half in two.” *raises eyebrow*

I was told they’re a great live band, but that’s really an understatement. (Here we also have a demonstration of what a music dork I am.) We got into the Mercury Lounge, but had to wait by the bar area during sound check. Which is not a private thing, mind, only that the door is closed to the stage area. But you can hear everything. And fuck me, it sounded so damn good. I was jumping up and down, catching snippets of my favorites. All giddy and smiling like an idiot. (God, I’m embarrassing.) But a band that can make you rock out to sound check, you know they’re going to be good.

They played 9 songs, and it was too short, despite hearing all my favorites – “Devil in Me, “Such a Fool,” “Shoot Your Gun,” “Baby Brings Bad News.” Their bluesy, jangly rock gets you jumping, headbanging, and dancing just the tiniest bit sultry. And of course the lead singer won me over when he said, “We’re glad to be back in New York. It’s great to be back in civilization.” (Which probably just means they’ve been touring Hicktown, USA, but I’d like to believe it was implying a difference between New York and the UK. Hey, a girl can dream.) I’ve been to a lot of shows, and seen a lot of bands, and sometimes the degree to which you like the band compensates for how good they sound live. Not necessary with the 22-20s. They do it all on their own.

And I am now a proud owner of a “Why don’t you do it for me?” badge, which just tickles me because of what it sounds like if you don’t know the song. *chuckle*

A band that can make me chuckle AND dance sultry? Definitely my kind of band.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has so many meanings, that line. There's the way the band means it: You did it for them, "Why don't you do it for ME?"

Or it could sarcastically imply laziness:
"Why don't you do it FOR me?"

Or it could ponder why one doesn't find another attractive:
"Why don't you DO IT for me?"

Don't you love a song that speaks on so many levels? LOL

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely forgot you were going to see them. I have been listening to the album a fair bit since you gave me it and will definately be looking out for some live shows. Especially seeing as you think so highly of them live.

7:22 PM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

@md: A band that makes me chuckle, dance sultry, AND use my mind!! Good god, they're nearly perfect! hehe

@suz: Yes, you should definitely try and see them live. And I really like a bunch of the songs on the album. (Nearly forgot that I sent it to you - there were so many things on those cds!)

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home