Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Big Pimpin’

For my inaugural entry, it’s only fitting that I pimp the band that I have affectionately been referring to as “my new favorite band.” (There is a difference.) This band is Maxïmo Park, and if you haven’t heard them yet, well, all I can ask is, what are you waiting for? Their first album, “A Certain Trigger” is out in the States on May 31 (or, if you’re like me and a tad impatient, available online as we speak.) The are also currently on tour, so if you can get out and see them, I implore you to. You can check dates here. As for me, I will be seeing them in New York in June, and at Leeds festival in August. And am eagerly awaiting both.

So what’s so great about them, you’re asking? What sets them apart from all the other bands coming out of the UK right now that have all blended together into one Franzblocliberchief? Well, I can’t tell you they’re better than any of the bands mentioned there, or that they’re not completely derivative of somebody (living in America and having had very little exposure to British music for the past 25 years makes one blissfully unaware of current bands’ unoriginality. :D) What I can do is tell you what I like so much about them.

It's the music, man. It's so good. Rollicking fun, danceable as hell. In fact, it had two grown women jumping up and down holding hands while singing along the last time they were in New York. (I won't tell you who - must protect my sources, after all.) I've listened to the album over and over already - and it's rare for me to listen to an album through and not a mix of all the songs I like. And while some of the lyrics are simple, and some downright silly (what if I don't speak French?), there are enough great turns of phrase (is that the correct plural?) to satisfy this self-confessed lyrics whore. I will spare you a rundown of all of them, but I have to at least include a few of my favorites...

You magnify the way I feel about myself
I like to wait to see how things turn out if you apply some pressure
Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure
"Apply Some Pressure"

I sleep with my hands across my chest and I dream of you with someone else
This can't go on so I should just regret it, and even though I led you on, forget it
"Going Missing"

I'm losing more than I'll ever have
I wrote my feelings down in a rush, I didn't even check the spelling
"Postcard of a Painting"

I rewrite my life beneath moonlight
You're always my reminder
"I Want You To Stay"

And if it comes down to me and him, you know I kiss you better
You, are you so scared that you're just gonna let it happen?
"Kiss You Better"

When it's all good, keep things close at hand
"Limassol"

Alright, so maybe I got a bit carried away there... An added bonus is that, unlike so many bands whose accents disappear seamlessly into the words they sing, Paul Smith's Geordie accent displays prominently, and is quite charming. (I dare you to try and sing "I am young" instead of "I am yooong." I double dare you.)

My only complaint (yes, there is one!), and some of you have heard this before, is that some of the songs on the album aren't as good as the demo versions. In particular, "Apply Some Pressure," "Going Missing," and "Limassol." If you can get your hands on these versions, do so. (The ASP demo is available as a b-side on the "Graffiti" single.)

So, in closing, check this band out!! They won’t change the world, but they’ll sure make it a more entertaining place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Louis said...

Hey there. Excellent inaugural entry. Nice pic, too. Keep up the good work.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home