Thursday, June 16, 2005

All We Need Is Time

Well, I blew it. I went to see The Futureheads last Monday at Webster Hall, replete with Bob Hardy and Paul Thompson from Franz Ferdinand sitting in the balcony. I even went to the after party and spoke to no one. But I have not had a spare second to write about it. I am a failure as a blogger and I’ve just begun. Alas.

It is not too late to mention that Maxïmo Park on Saturday night kicked ass. Even with the vocals too low. Though we did try to tell them, and he did ask for more, and then wished yours truly a happy birthday from stage. Well, I think I deserved that, pimp daddy that I am. They played their entire album minus one track, plus a b-side. With their special hand motion. And Lukas giving us extra attention, since we were the wildest bunch there. And we weren’t even on his side. They just have so much energy and make their music even more fun that it is to listen to on your own. Although, a funny thing happens when they play “my” song…I just want them to play it at least five more times in a row. Oh well, maybe one day I’ll get a private concert. And make them play the same song ten times. *evil*

Last night saw me gigged out at Webster Hall once more, for Bloc Party, full stop. (It’s the logo. Get it?) They started off with an interesting choice, “So Here We Are”, which is a bit mellow for an opener. “Like Eating Glass” followed, and then they got into the heart of the dancing/jumping/stomping repertoire, with all the requisites such as “Banquet,” “She’s Hearing Voices,” "Positive Tension," “Helicopter,” “Little Thoughts,” and “This Modern Love” (the most upbeat melancholy song ever.) “Tulips” was a treat to hear. The set overall was great, despite the fact that there weren't enough vocals (it’s an epidemic in the New York music scene) and we couldn't understand a word they were saying in between songs (and not because of the accents.) Great encore, including “Price of Gas” and “The Pioneers” (which I love.) And then they came back for a second. They played a new song and then “The Answer.” And even after that, Kele came back on stage and started fooling around on the drums, and Matt came to the front to examine the guitar pedal thingies, and then Russell tottered over and bent down to talk to him. And Kele and Matt stage dived. Kind of surreal. Incidentally, my friend MD is convinced that Russell has let the blochead get overgrown like a weed across his face so that he can look at whoever he wants with no one being the wiser.

I made a personal discovery about Bloc Party, however. They’re never going to be one of those bands that I know all the words to all their songs. There are just some songs I don’t like enough to listen through enough times to learn them. But the songs that I love, I LOVE.

Since J always seems to find out where the after parties are, we decided to check it out. First clue that we weren't at The Futureheads after party anymore - dark, crowded, pretentious bar, with pretentious-type people (i.e. not fans like us *sheepish*), and exorbitantly priced drinks. ($10??!! I'll have one, thanks.) The former had been in a neighborhood bar, kind of intimate, drinks just the usual amount overpriced, and people showed up decently soon after the gig was over.

The one thing about this party that made it > than every other after party ever in the history of man - the djs fucking pwnd - this duo who call themselves Tarts of Pleasure (hehe), comprised of Ultragrrrl and KarenPlusOne. But they played some fucking choooooons, man. “Daft Punk is Playing...,” “Rip It Up,” “Hounds of Love,” “Rebellion (Lies),” “Laid,” “Hard to Explain,” “Hotel Yorba,” “Tendency,” “The Boy Looked at Johnny,” “Time is Running Out.” I must be forgetting a few, but just look at that list! I danced so much and so hard and jumped around so much that I couldn't breathe, I had a pain in my side, and my ankles were killlllling me. But it was so worth it. They were so cute, too, dancing around their booth and throwing their hands in the air and singing along, looking for people who were doing the same. And half the time it was me, from across the room. (I never claimed to not be a dork.) I even went over after they played “Tendency” to tell them that they're awesome. (Because, really, who here even knows “Tendency” anyway?!) I want to go to every party they play from now on. I hope they find out about me and the love I am now bestowing on them. You two are amazing and I worship you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloc Party full stop, hee hee. I forgot about that.

1:11 PM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

Well, it was your brilliance. (Er, sorry I didn't credit you. :S)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ultragrrrl said...

holy shit!! thanks so much! you were AMAZING to have there dancing.

The Tarts of Pleasure are DJing tomorrow (friday) at the Orchard Bar (200 orchard street btw houston and stanton) from 1-4am. please come by! we'll give you a drink ticket and some kosher wine.

xo.
sarah

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home