Tuesday, November 29, 2005

They twist and they shout for the boys in the band

I feel funny writing this entry. I'm afraid it's going ot make me look like a wannabe groupie. And I'm not. It's not snobbery, either. But I'm not a groupie. I don't want to sleep with band members. Don't want to have their babies. Don't even want to be best friends with them. Hell, I would have to talk to them for any of that to happen. I don't. I go to enough gigs that if I did, I'd actually probably be guest-listed at this point. Only rarely when I have something specific to say do I attempt it. And even then, I wind up walking away feeling like a moron. And slightly dirty.

But there is something I've been wondering about band/'fan' interaction.

See, I like the wrong kind of music for living in New York City. Or the right kind, depending on how you look at it. If I want to hear British indie bands on the radio, I'm out of luck. But if I want to go to a gig and see a band that's big or exploding over in the UK in a small venue, I've hit the jackpot. There are a few times when I go to gigs and there are a bunch of people there. Sometimes the room is full. Sometimes there are even actually other people there who know the band. Often, even when it's full, the hipsters hold to the code of cooler-than-thou and would rather be caught dead than look like they're enjoying themselves. And so, more often than not, it's my friends and I, along with a handful of other people, who are dancing, jumping, singing. In cornier words, supporting the band.

And then there are other instances. Take for example a recent gig I went to for a band I like a lot. It was at a tiny venue in the Lower East Side. The band is so unknown here that they were hanging out at the bar during the first two sets without anyone ever realizing that they would soon be on stage. My friend actually wound up chatting with the drummer, and he even said that no one knew who they were. When they took the stage, the room was not nearly full. Far from it. And my friend and I were standing in the center, well enough back so that we didn't have to stand right in front of the stage, but no one was in front of us, and no one was in back of us. And we proceeded to rock out along with the band. In clear view of them. And we were the only ones.

Now, what I'm wondering is, in either situation, where you are visibe to the band, you clearly are familiar with their music, and are, supposedly, letting them know that at least someone in the audience is enjoying their set...and then they see you after... Ok, what I'm saying is, I would want to talk to those people. As my friend said, at least to find out how they found out about the band. In the case of the unknown band, they were hanging out at the bar afterwards again. A table separated me from the lead singer, who, minutes before I had been singing along to. But nothing. As MD said, "Is it uncool to be excited or into something? Uncool to show appreciation of it? What gives?"

I know that it's not fair to expect something like that, and it's not expectation. Not at all. It's more bewilderment. Some people are just shy or reticent. But is it something that's just not done in the rock star handbook? Do you only speak to people if they speak to you first? Is it the fish out of water thing, where being in a different country, you just feel so out of your element that you don't approach anyone? Or maybe it's true, that, even in venues where there aren't spotlights blinding the bandmembers, that they don't really see the first few rows of people. So even if you're standing right in front of them, even if you've made eye contact or sung along together, they really don't see you. It's something I don't think I'll ever understand. Even if just being in the best interests of the band to cultivate that support base in a hostile country? It's one of those showbiz mysteries, I guess.

Though obviously it's not the point of any of it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mirjam said...

Hi! You don't know me, but I got pointed here by Marianne because I'd been ranting to her just the other day about some of the things you describe (and especially the first paragraph - oh yes) using your title too ;). It's interesting.

Sometimes I get the feeling that it's not just deemed uncool to show appreciation, but it is putting you firmly into the wannabe groupie department in the eyes of others (and I get that confirmed too often). Yeah, I get selfconscious at times like these and that 'dirty' feeling is never far away though I hate it. Also, once I read a couple of comments from journalists who wondered why people would applaud or cheer or anything even before a band has even played a note, even if they're known. I blinked at that a few times. If that's the attitude... The 'prove it to me first, I might clap a bit' mentality, over here (in the Netherlands) it seems rampant. Audiences expecting to be won over, not wanting to seem too easy or eager, it seems. It's a strange dynamic.

I don't believe they don't see you at all in the first two/three rows. Maybe it just completely depends on the person if they'll approach you or not, like it does in normal life, so to speak ;). Maybe they feel like a moron too sometimes, I don't know. I've seen some come out to talk, Arcade Fire, for instance. Both times they came here (having sold out flat, not exactly unknown anymore) they came down afterwards seemingly with the express purpose to do that. And they did, for a long time, seemed to enjoy it too. Nice people, them.

11:05 AM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

Are you the famous Miss M? Even if not, glad to have you here!

I am so glad that someone relates. Really.

And I actually edited my original entry because my friend said that I sounded too defensive about not being a groupie.

It's odd. It seems that to the audience you look like a groupie. But if the band doesn't have anyone in the audience cheering and singing, they're disappointed. At most of the small venues I go to, as I mentioned, the people are too cool for school, and won't even look like they're having fun. I'm never quite sure whether or not they know the band's music but just aren't expressive, just came to check them out, or just came for some other reason. Then again, I went to the first of two shows that Bloc Party played in a larger venue, and apparently the second night they dissed the first night's audience as being dead and too industry. Being in the first few rows and going nuts myself, I can't say that I noticed.

Ironically, that "prove it to me first" was what we encountered the first show the Arctic Monkeys played here...only, in reverse. That's a bit off-putting.

In the instance I mentioned, where the band I went to see was completely unknown and we were the only two singing and jumping, I was literally a foot away from the singer afterwards. As well as other band members. It was just baffling. But you're right, maybe some people are just shy, like real people are, and wouldn't approach anyone. More recently with a different band, we didn't even wind up hanging around the venue after the set, though apparently the band was still there watching another set, talking to people. Perhaps they would have remembered us from being right in their faces, perhaps not. Or maybe I would have spoken to them. There's always next time.

It's just something that happens recurringly that I finally had to put down in words. It's just strange.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mirjam said...

LOL! Yes, that's me. I think I've seen you around LJ too, you're albauk, right? Nice to meet you!

Oh yes, I can really relate. If it's a band you like, you'd want to show them, especially when the audience is being dull. That was the case with The Rakes recently, they even mentioned it somewhere afterwards (the audience being dull, not my dancing, fortunately) and though it showed, they were professional about it. I don't think snide comments directed at the audience work in your advantage. Is that what happened with the Arctic Monkeys?

I like to think those climbing stages everywhere are just like us down there (need to remind myself sometimes, though). But yes, I might go up to an enthusiastic person too.

One solution for British bands to difficult audiences everywhere: Arctic Monkeys played here a few weeks ago with half the house consisting of Brits. That worked, apparently. Lots too at The Others/Kaiser Chiefs-combo earlier this year; a won game and the atmosphere was brilliant because of it.

Bloc Party were here just yesterday! It was grand.

6:52 PM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

Yes, that's me! And nice to meet you too! :D

I guess it's hard for bands that are big in the UK and then come and play in other places where they're not so big. Which is why I try harder to be supportive. Which is why it's even more baffling. It wasn't that the Arctic Monkeys actually said anything, it was that they came up there with an attitude that we had to win them over, and not the other way around. The second show did have a large British contingent, and they were much more into it that night. I just think it's the wrong approach to fall back on a "hometown" crowd when the point is to be winning over new audiences. I actually resented it just a little bit.

Bloc Party are ace. Honestly, I think all the bands I like are ace. I'm just a bit biased. ;)

10:11 PM  
Blogger Mirjam said...

Agreed, that's not the point of going abroad. Those Monkeys aren't hampered by lack of confidence, are they?

Must add I've looked around your blog for a bit, and I like it a lot. :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger rock goddess said...

I think it was more an overabundance of confidence. They were not impressed by us, lol.

Thank you so much, that's so nice to hear!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home